What Is it?
The Skills Framework is an integral component of the Industry Transformation Maps and it is co-created by Employers, Industry Associations, Education Institutions, Unions and Government for the Singapore workforce. The Skills Framework provides key information on sector, career pathways, occupations/job roles, as well as existing and emerging skills required for the occupations/job roles. It also provides a list of training programmes for skills upgrading and mastery.
The Skills Framework aims to create a common skills language for individuals, employers and training providers. This further helps to facilitate skills recognition and support the design of training programmes for skills and career development. The Skills Framework is also developed with the objectives to build deep skills for a lean workforce, enhance business competitiveness and support employment and employability.
Who Is It For?
Developed for Individuals, Employers, and Training Providers.
Individuals in their early and/or mid-career can use the Skills Framework to make informed decisions on education and training, career development and skills upgrading based on the sector, employment, occupation/job role, skills and training information in the framework.
Employers can use the Skills Framework to design progressive human resource management and talent development plans based on the detailed skills information in the framework. For more information, please click here.
Training Providers can use the Skills Framework to gain insights into sector trends and skills in demand, which allow them to innovate and contextualise their curricula design and training programmes to suit the needs of the sector.
How Can I Benefit From It?
Upgrade Your Workforce with the Skills Framework
Drafting Job Descriptions in a Flash
Level Up Your Team
Evaluate Staff Performance with a Customisable Template
Increase Staff Retention with the Right Career Pathways
- Determine the choice of study based on their aspirations
- Make informed decisions on career choice before applying for the jobs
- Prepare job applications and interviews
and Career Counsellors
- Understand the sector and employment prospects
- Learn about the occupational/job scope, the work context and the work attributes which are demanded by the employers in the sectors
- Provide informed advice to children and students as they choose their desired pre-employment training programme
- Understand the sector and the employment prospects as well as emerging jobs and skills in demand
- Understand the occupational/job scope, work context and the work attributes which are demanded by the employers in the sector
- Assess one’s career aspiration and make an informed decision before settling on a career choice or switching career
- Appraise the length of the career pathway and the requirements for one to progress into the desired occupation/job role
- Find suitable programmes based on skills and career needs
- Identify emerging skills and build new capabilities
- Develop occupational/job profiles
- Create comprehensive competency framework as well as training roadmaps for the company
- Strengthen organisational capability to develop staff for improved performance
- Enhance talent attraction, management and retention
- Gain better insights into sector trends, as well as existing and emerging skills in demand so as to innovate and contextualise their curricula design and training programmes to suit the needs of employers and learners
- Develop holistic company training plans and business improvement programmes such as job redesign programmes for productivity and growth for companies
How Does It Work?
This component describes the sector and employment landscapes and it includes useful statistics on the sector’s manpower and occupational/job requirements, in line with the Industry Transformation Map.
This component shows how the occupations/job roles in the sector are structured progressively based on sector norm. From the Career Pathways, users can identify vertical and lateral advancement opportunities.
Occupations/Job Roles Description
This component describes the skills requirement, work context and expected profile of the worker performing the occupational/job role. It provides an overall introduction to the occupation/job role.
Every occupation/job role in the Skills Framework contains a set of skills. Each skill is carefully analysed and written to capture both occupational/job and personal domains of the skill for holistic development. Similar to Occupation/Job Role Description, Skill Description provides overall introduction to the skills by summarising the performance expectations of the skills.
Training Programmes link the skills in the occupations/job roles to programmes that are available in the market. The list of programmes is not limited to academic qualifications, and continuing education and training programmes. It will also list apprenticeships, recognition of prior learning and any other skills-based programmes and manpower initiatives such as SkillsFuture Earn and Learn Programme that are available in the sector.
Which Are The Sectors?
Critical Core Skills for all sectors
Critical Core Skills are transferable cross-cutting skills and competencies that enable individuals to acquire technical skills and competencies, and facilitate their job mobility.
Find out more about Critical Core Skills here.
Effort is underway to develop Skills Frameworks to support the Industry Transformation Maps. The Skills Frameworks will be launched progressively starting from 2016 and have been launched for the following sectors.
Skills Framework templates are available for enterprises to populate Skills Framework content into editable HR templates based on the selected job roles for your further contextualisation. The enhancement for the rest of the sectors will be completed by Q3 2019.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN
SkillsFuture Career Advisors Programme
The SkillsFuture Career Advisors Programme taps on the knowledge and expertise of industry veterans to help...
The SkillsFuture Fellowship is a tripartite initiative that recognises Singapore Citizens who have acquired deep skills through significant...
SkillsFuture Qualification Award
This award recognises the efforts of Singapore Citizens in attaining WSQ full qualifications, which equip them with comprehensive and ...
Education and Career Guidance
Education and Career Guidance (ECG) is a holistic and experiential effort aimed at equipping students...